The Colombo People

25 Responses

1. isura says:

Yudhanjaya,
    This is a nice piece. I wish there was a very huge ‘like’ button.
    I wish I could have written this before you, which means the same feelings are resonated in my mind.
    Well done. This is like reading my own mind, each day, as I drive around 60 km through the thick jungle that is colombo.
    I am not a kolombian, I am not a Gallian either.
    Wish I had more space to be human.

keep writing. keep digging.

@isura

2. Ahamed Nizar says:

Every person from the BMW driver to the guy who serves my tea is Kolambian. This is what makes this city so beautiful.

Psst. Go to Mumbai or HK. Two great cities

3. Rothbourne says:

I tried to hate you man, but sometimes you make it impossible with wordgasm like this.

Love the way you have captured the true essence of Colombo. Thank you for not trying to poshfy everything about my home town like certain other website do.

I’m inspired to write something as well.

4. Hasanga says:

Irony is that it’s only the background of Colombo get to read this.

5. Chevindu says:

I always wanted to know what’s the connection between Tuk Tuks and Che Guevara or Bob Marley.

6. Dee says:

LOVE IT and echo your thoughts!

It’s increasingly difficult to even eat in the city with our cost of living vs earnings. Born and bred in Colombo, but I am really like that person you saw at Bayleaf, trying to get by!

7. kaushi says:

This is quite a piece of literature.You’ve got an excellent writing style.Kind of reminded me about the Village by the Sea.
    Looking forward for more posts from you 🙂 Good Luck

8. UdaraUMD says:

Nicely written brother! This is what everybody in Colombo witnesses everyday.

And I’m the guy at that Bay Leaf. ;]

කොළඹ හරිම නපුරුයි කොල්ලො..

9. Prashan says:

What a lovely piece of writing. But as you’ll probably know most of the shops in Colombo ( especially the new ones that are opening ) are trying to cater towards that small niche crowd.

10. Kau Da Boy says:

This is so great!

I went through the same thought process as I witnessed deserted posh kades in ‘Arcade’ shopping precinct the week before the Avurudu, meanwhile Maharagama is so crowded and bustling with ‘real’ people going from one shop to the other looking for the cheapest price.

This divide is becoming so huge with the next generation of posh Kolombians, those who know only English, trying hard to be American/British, never visited SL outside Colombo (or Galle, thanks to the highway), and devoid of any interaction with the real people who collectively design and colour the city of Colombo.

How and what can make Colombo relevant to the common man again?

11. Suresh Murugaser says:

Thank you for a well-written piece that hits the spot! Yes, it is sad to see the New Breed of Colombians who seem to wallow in their excesses. Colombians who, just a few years ago, never knew they were going to ride in air-conditioned limos, wear designer clothes they can hardly pronounce the names of, eat food that is totally alien to them, speak in International School accents that their parents can’t comprehend. Unfortunately, that is the reality. Perhaps its a good thing for these people, but I wish they would be more low-key!

12. Romina Withanage says:

Yet another beautiful insight to the life of Colombo. It is the people that make up a country, therefore everyone is important from rich to poor.

13. Elespeak says:

how about Colombo’s wildlife, more to it than the Kolamba Kakka (crow). I don’t see the people is see the trees, the wildlife, the green canals albeit through “green tinted” glasses. We are a Wild City, very few recognize it as on.

14. Dhivaagar says:

The bunch of guys waiting to get the rice packet – yours truly standing right at the end of the line 😀

15. Lisa says:

Brilliant, excellent and the juiciest way I have read about Colombo. I love your style of writing, it captures the attention, holds you prisoner and just won’t let you go until one has reached the climax. You are so right – Colombo is a mix of delicious achcharu that can at times taste sour, extremely bitter and then again on occasion-sweet.
    Your words paint pictures, play movies in the mind and add a cacophony of sounds as one reads the colourful descriptions that simply pour forth with effortless ease from your skilled mind.
    Thank You!
    This made me grin all through it and that my friend is exactly what i needed at 2.45 am.

16. Mohan Mendis says:

This is brilliant. Very real. Who is the author?

17. The Celina says:

Ditto ditto ditto.

Not in Colombo right now. But your words sent me down good ol’ Kolombian lanes and roads…when I was either riding in some sorta “posh/g.”cars, busing it, tuk-ing it, eating elolu roties and chinese rolls…in the real Colombo you described so brilliantly!

Cannot wait to come back and be a Kolombian… at least only for while.

Thanks for that trip down memory lane, Icarus.

18. You write beautifully, honestly and visually. It’s a rare combination. Thank you for this piece. Reality bites.

19. donny says:

Great writeup. To me just the mention of ‘Colombo’ never conjures the pictures of ‘posh’ people sipping cappuccinos (Maybe because I’m closer to the ‘other part’ of Colombo, being a guy who takes the train to work and commutes around in the bus – it always reminds me of the dusty little motor cycle garages in Panchikawatte, the small road side stalls that sell accharu with a dash of cholera in armor street and the ‘pani dodam’ juice shops in Fort, the archaic Maradana railway station with the smell of diesel and pigeons. One place where you see the contrast is Dematagoda where a massive Office complex comprising mostly of IT companies are surrounded by dingy little shops, claustrophobic saloons and roadside ‘kadala’ sellers.

20. Susan says:

Went back to Colombo after five years. This piece is exactly what I saw, thought and felt. Nice work:-)